Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Writing it down


Today is part 21 of a 30 day commitment. To read about how I am blogging to change my life please read here first.

This morning I went out for a 16 mile run in the hot humid weather. I had a great run and it went by really quickly. A lot of people ask me what I think about when I run so long. I usually kid with them and say, "what goes through my mind is ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch" or "left, right, left, right". Some days my runs flow and I find that I don't think much at all. I am just in the moment gliding along feeling strong and smooth. Those are the best runs, but the most infrequent. Most have different periods where I go between thinking about how tight my left hamstring is or how much my ankle hurts to listening to my breathing and feeling ok.

But other days I just forget that I am running and get so into my thoughts that the running part disappears. Today was one of those days. It didn't start out that way. For the first 3 miles I wanted to turn around and go home. I know its busy at work and I felt like I should be there helping.

Yesterdays post asked for feedback from whomever is reading. An old childhood friend of mine wrote a great note to me. In that note he said "You saw something today that inspired you in some positive way, you just may have overlooked it at the time." I was trying to keep that in mind as I ran. I was really paying attention. But a funny thing happened. My mind drifted to the business as it often does. I have had an idea for the business for quite some while but it never got clear in my head. It is an idea that would constitute a pretty radical change in the business so it is kind of scary. This thought has been with me for at least a year, but I've never acted upon it or investigated it.

On the run it became crystal clear. All of a sudden all of the reasons why I cant do it went away. I started to see how all the little pieces would fit together. Nothing negative came into my mind. I started to realize how huge this idea is. There is nobody in my industry doing it. Not even close. It is completely new. As I ran the details got clearer and clearer. My pace actually picked up because I got so excited.

I have had this type of excitement happen many times. The reality is that I almost never act upon it. I know its a good idea I just can't seem to find the time or energy to dive deeper into it. So today when I got in from my run I decided to not go to work. When I got home there were messages for me, emails to answer, calls to make and my phone was ringing off the hook. Out back in the yard there are two more cords of wood that need to be stacked before my family reunion Saturday. I've ignored them all. Today I am working ON my business, not IN my business.

I decided to come upstairs into my home office and start writing it down. Start taking the idea from my head and turning it into reality. This is always the big step that starts the ball rolling. I could have easily decided to do it later, but I know that the clarity that I had during the run will soon fade and the idea will be shuffled back into that part of my brain that has lots of good ideas sitting in the file cabinet that never gets opened.

Its the same reason that I decided to write this daily blog. I have had the idea for a book in my head for a long time but it too was sitting in the file cabinet. Starting to write is turning it into reality.

When I started National Powersports I used to spend a portion of the evenings writing job descriptions for positions that didn't exist yet. I really believe that writing it down turns it into reality. There it is, right in front of you in black and white. Just do it! I really believe it is one of the reasons we grew so quickly.

Last night Amy and I went out to dinner together. Several weeks ago we decided to take one night a week and work on things that we wanted for our lives. I actually told her that I want the one night a week to be all about her telling me what she wants. She wasn't that comfortable with that, but I made her! This will work for both of us as I can work on the process of helping her, which in turn helps me get clear on many of the things I want to include in the book, and she gets to work on working on her dreams. For the last few weeks we just have not been able to get it done, but last night we sat and talked. And I wrote it all down. And we started to outline what needs to be done. It is amazing how much faster things go when you write it down. She is working ON her life, not IN her life. The things she wants are so obtainable and I am psyched to be there to help.

Here is an idea that might help others. Get a notebook that is just for you. Keep it next to the bed or wherever it is convenient. Every time you think of a great idea go to that notebook and write it down. Its your notebook. There is nothing to silly or far out to write down. You will be amazed at what will happen. Its the first step to turning anything into reality.

No comments: