Monday, August 24, 2009

Whats my USP?


Today is part 26 of a 30 day commitment. To read about how I am blogging to change my life please read here first.

So today is day 26. I can't believe that I have posted something every single day for 26 days! It feels great to know that I have actually taken a step towards writing a book. I didn't have a ton of ambition as far as this blog goes. I just wanted to get into the habit of writing every day. Involving all of you was to hold me accountable. It sure has worked! Thinking about the book has been at the forefront of my mind all day, every day. I knew that if I missed a day I would get a bunch of emails holding my feet to the fire. Thanks to every body for that.

One thing that I have not become any clearer on is my USP for the book. A lot of the business books that I read talk about a USP, or Unique Selling Proposition. A USP is what sets you apart from your competitors. I struggle with the idea because I really don't think that what I have done is that special. We all can do it. I just seem to be able to get people inspired enough to take the first step to discover that they can do it.

There are a ton of people out there writing "self-help" books. Why would anybody read mine? Do I write about what has happened to me to get to this point or the specifics of how I did it? Both?

The honest truth is, I don't really know how I did it. There are so many contributing factors. Did I have the "Perfect Storm" of events happen? I am lucky enough to have a great support group, zest for life, fear of death, drive to accomplish something worthy and an open mind that I don't have all the answers and I'm open to new ideas.

When I started this I posted that I didn't want to just write about my life's story. I believe that every person on this earth could write a book about their life's story and they all would be fascinating. But from a business point of view, why would anybody pick mine up off the shelf?

The funny thing is that the posts that have had the most responses are the ones where I opened up and poured out my guts about my life to this point. I am trying to balance that with the fact that most of the people who read this blog are friends and family. Would a stranger find it as interesting? Would the person who is trying to get more out of their life find anything in what I've done to help them move forward and do it themselves?

As the 30 day commitment winds down I find myself with a lot of unanswered questions. The biggest is still "How can I write a book that will help other people believe that they can do anything in this world?" I want to do more than inspire them, I want to help them believe that it is possible. But what can I really do to help?

The best thing about doing this blog have been all of you reading it. I am honestly blessed to have such an incredible group of people involved with my life. I have had inspiring emails from high school friends that I have not talked to in 20 years. I have become closer to many family members. I have been inspired by strangers sending insightful emails. I think that you all gave me more than I gave you. For that I am very thankful.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Every successful person, either in business or in having a well-balanced life, has a unique and interesting story. People will be inspired by your perseverance in the face of struggle, your optimism in the face of pain, your determination in the face of the choice of failure. Failure to you is not an option and that is inspiring!

Don't diminish your credit that comes from family. If your stuff were boring I'd say so. I've read Tony Robbins, Mary Kay, Ayn Rand, Rich Dad, Wayne Dyer, The Dali Lama, and plain old fiction. I think autobiographies are the best because they are HUMAN and we can relate to them and be inspired by them. You said the most passionate responses were when you were passionate. My vote is you write an autobiography, or else a "system" for wholeness... or the balance of patriarchy, or whatever your experience is! It will be good. Write it and they will read... hee hee!