Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Time off



Today is part 27 of a 30 day commitment. To read about how I am blogging to change my life please read here first.

Tonight I am sitting in a hotel in Maine. I decided last minute to take the week off and spend it with the family. The kids go back to school next week and I realized all of a sudden that we didn't go away like we always do.

We had a wonderful day today, although we got a late start. There was a point this morning that I seriously thought about cancelling leaving. It would have been really easy to just stay at the shop and help. I think those type of deciding moments are what we are going to look back on later in life. I have talked with a lot of "successful" business people and if they are older the almost always give the advice of not overlooking your family. A lot of them tell me that they wish that they didn't work so many hours and had spent more time with their families.

Nobody wants to end up having a life like the Cat Stevens song "Cats in the cradle". On the other hand, I always feel guilty for not working enough. Amy laughs when I say this, but I see other business owners working so much harder than me. My thought is that I will be truly successful when I don't have to be at my business anymore. On that day it will mean that I have put such a great team in place that they know exactly what to do. It will mean that I have put all the processes and procedures in place that they all know what is expected of their position.

I certainly am not there yet. I have an incredible crew, but I still need to work on having everything perfectly defined. It is way harder than it sounds. It is a great goal to work towards though.

For tonight I am going to be content knowing that I wasn't at work today and they did a great job. I have now finished my commitment to write in my blog, even though I'm away. And now...I'm going to spend a little more time with my awesome family.

Have a great night.

1 comment:

kelly said...

You got it right, cousin! You got it right! Nobody ever has the epitaph "he should have worked more"! Smarter, not harder... enjoy Maine in very good conscience! xox