Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Sacrifice it takes to make the cheese.

Sometimes its hard to stay focused on the goal.  In order to get my training in I have to get up at 5am at the latest.  Most days I get up and run for at least an hour.  Then I quickly eat, shower and head off to take my son to school 1/2 hour away and then try to get into the shop before 9.  Then after working all day I get home, eat and pass out on the couch.  Hopefully I get to take the family out to eat if Amy hasn't made one of her awesome home made suppers, which is even better.  I usually watch about an hour of TV, or work on the computer finishing emails, writing my blog, answer company emails, etc. 

Tomorrow my schedule looks like this.  Get up at 4:45.  Get out onto the trails by 5:15 at the latest.  It is supposed to be 1 below zero with 10 mph winds.  Its also very dark in the woods at that time for at least an hour before the sun comes up.  That means my world will consist of a little beam of light focused on the 3 feet in front of my feet for that first hour.  My hands will be cold.  For the first couple miles my feet will be cold.  My eyes will water.  I will be uncomfortable. I need to run 15 miles, or a little bit more than 2 hours.   When I get home I need to quickly shower, eat and get on the road.  I will drive for 3 hours to CT where I will attend a repo auction for Harleys.  I'll be on my feet all day, bid on about 200 bikes, drive the 3 hours home (if there is no traffic) eat a quick dinner and get to bed early so I can get up on Thursday at 5 am and run 7 miles and do a strength training workout.  Lord knows when I'll actually get a chance to stay up an extra hour (ok..3 1/2 minutes) and make love to my wife.

The point is, you have to have passion and drive to do the work if you really want to achieve your goals.  It takes sacrifice on your part and understanding and support of the people around you.  As Cypress Hill says in "Rock Superstar" "Show the sacrifice it takes to make the cheese."

This shit doesn't happen by accident.  You have to want it and then commit to make the sacrifice.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

You are much more motivated than me! BUT... I used to be that way. My kids are still a little resentful about how driven I used to be. :) I am a whole lot more laid back now, but thinking I can still be competitive with this new mindset. We'll see.