Sunday, June 12, 2011

T-Minus two weeks and counting

Only 13 days left until Western States

Like every other person who is running the Western States, I'm counting down the days.  I ended up this week at 63 miles and I am ready for the taper.  Over the last 8 weeks I have run the highest mileage weeks I have ever done in training and I put in 424 miles in May.  That's the most I've ever run in a month.  My yearly total as of today is up to 1844, which just three years ago would have been close to my total for the entire year.

The big question for me heading into my first 100 of the year is, "has my training been specific enough?".  Just putting in the miles doesn't mean that I am going to be prepared as much as I need to be.  The other thing I'm struggling with is getting my head fixed on a certain goal.  Normally I train intensely so I can do good at one 100 mile race per year.  When that race comes, I go as hard as I can.  With my Potentially Painful Summer looming I need to decide if I am just going to see if I can survive or if I should race hard.  On one hand it would be very refreshing to just go along for the adventure with the only goal of finishing all the races.  The reality is that doesn't exactly fit my personality.  I better figure it out soon because it is very important to know what your intentions are when you start one of these things. 

Sub 24 Hour Silver Buckle

Here is what I think at this point.  My first goal is just to finish.  No matter what happens to me I need to finish this so I can start this big goal.  The other goal is to get a sub-24 buckle.  I have never finished a 100 in more that 24 hours.  Hopefully this won't be the first.

To see my training blog for the week, go HERE.

No comments: