Monday, January 31, 2011

January recap and Upcoming Plans


I figure since I am going to document this process of getting ready for all these 100 mile races I should regularly share my training.  I am going to make it a weekly habit to post my training. 

For January I ran 295.3 miles.  For those miles I ran 32 runs and took 44 hours to complete them.  I also biked 2.5 miles (it was a warm up for a strength workout), snowshoed for 3 hours and strength trained 7 times.

I am feeling really good at this point in the season.  I still have some lingering pain in my right shin.  It is some leftover tendinitis from my attempt at a fast marathon in November.  To heal it I have been doing a lot of my runs on the treadmill at a slow and easy pace (8:35 minute mile - 7 miles an hour).  I also jumped on the bandwagon right after the marathon and started to use minimalistic shoes.  Dropping my heal to be more level with my forefoot took a lot of pressure off my ankle and has been part of the process of healing.  It was pretty hard on the calves at first but I have been adapting really well.  Its kind of like starting over but I'm having fun concentration on my stride and becoming more efficient.

So far I have signed up and paid for Western States, Vermont and tonight Leadville.  Leadville has decided to cap the race at 750 entrants.  It is the first year that they have set a limit on runners.  From what I understand around 600 people have already signed up! 

This is going to be really tough.  We are super crazy busy at the shop right now and I am seriously looking into opening another location.  Some days, like today, I feel like I am so far behind I don't know how I am going to commit the time to do this 100 mile challenge.  But I am not going to let that stop me.  I know that I will make it happen and I know that I have the support of the people around me.  That is a huge help! 

If anybody is actually reading this and has suggestions on what I might add to my updates please let me know.
Nate

No comments: