Thursday, September 10, 2015

Dear Running,

Dear Running,

I don't know how to say this gently, but I think I need a break.  It's not working for me anymore, and it is getting more apparent every day that you are trying to hurt me. 

Shhh..don't say anything yet.  Please, let me finish first.

The last 9 years have been wonderful.  You found me just when I really needed you.  My old love, Mountain Biking, and I had just broken up from a wounded knee.  I really wasn't ready to give her up, and now I think I need to go back. 

Even though you never said anything, I know you could feel that something was wrong after we finished the Vermont 100.  I've been fighting these feelings since then, and I just can't do it anymore.  I need to come clean.

I love Mountain Biking.  I'm sorry, but I don't think that I ever stopped loving it.  It's in my blood, and I have to go with my gut. 

I really hope that you and I can still be friends.  There would be nothing I would like more than to go out with you for a few hours and explore some new trails.  I hope you will still allow that once in a while.  The time we had together was special.  I'll always cherish it.  I will always love you.

Nate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Nicely written. We all go through this, Nate. Good that you have something else to go to.