Wednesday, November 19, 2014

No more shoe reviews.


I really enjoy writing my blog.  You wouldn't know that by my recent lack of activity.  But I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  I originally started this so that I could practice writing in preparation of writing a book.  If you have been here since the beginning you remember that I used to write more often, and mostly about personal issues.  Topics like my love of running and my obsession with finding out what type of diet and exercise will turn back the hands of time and keep me feeling young and strong.

One of the coolest bi-products of writing about running is that shoe companies have asked me to try their shoes and review them.  That development was really initiated by my friend Pete who writes www.runblogger.com.  He has made the introduction to almost every company that has provided materials for review.  And I love it.  Or at least I did....

I approach most things in life like you would expect from a neurotic person with a Jewish upbringing  (think Woody Allen) and for the last 6 months or so I have felt a TON of pressure to get these reviews done in a timely fashion.  But I have failed on many levels.  I still have 5 or 6 shoes that I never reviewed, and I received them months ago.  Every time I see them I feel guilty.  Sure, I could half-ass a bunch and whip them out really quick, but that's not my style.  So it takes me a lot of time to write them up.  Like 3 or 4 hours to do it right.  And I just haven't been able to find the time.  The thought of those manufactures thinking that I took advantage of their generosity really bothers me.  But the pressure of always feeling like I HAVE to get this review done is killing my love for writing.

I have decided to no longer do shoe reviews here.  I will continue to write the Dirty Runner column for Pete (which I have not done in a long time either...) whenever he needs or wants me to.  And I'm really grateful for that opportunity.  Thanks Pete.

While running is still a huge part of my life, I have been focusing on my business more. This needs to be my first priority.  We are kicking so much ass and its exciting.  I'm at the shop more because I'm enjoying it a lot.  We are even in the process of opening our first branch location.  I'll write more about that as developments happen.

Even more than the business, I have been thinking about...well, thinking.  Trying to tackle some of the bigger issues.  Reading more books about the Law of Attraction, Alternative Thinking, Quantum Physics, etc.  It seems as the more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know anything.  And even what I do know is probably skewed, based only on my personal experiences.   Our brain only keeps information about what it recognizes and can fit into it's idea of what is important.  For that, it looks at what it knows from past experiences.  Anything it can't neatly fit into some category gets filtered out.  I want to know what I'm missing!  Just because we can't recognize something with our 5 senses doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I love this concept.  It opens so many possibilities.

I have had an idea in the back of my mind for a long time.  For some reason, the timing finally seemed right to take some action.  I have started an on-line study group for people that are interested in learning more about alternative spiritual thinking.  Its like a book club, but with a specific type of book and discussions that take place on-line (although there is an actual once a month meeting for those who can attend).  We will study one chapter per week and then share our thoughts.

I started studying these alternative ways of thinking 15 years ago.  And I have applied them to create the incredibly abundant life that I enjoy today.  I see the potential in every person I encounter to do the same.  But a lot of people don't know where to start or how to take it to the next level.  I'm hoping that this project will be of value to them.  Judging from the amount of initial interest, I think it will.  Our first meeting was this past Monday, and we picked "The Master Key System" by Charles Hannel as our first book to study.  If you curious or want to join up, click on the pic below.  This is not a business venture and it doesn't cost anything.

http://forum2.npdbikes.com/index.php
The Discussion Board  Please join us!

So for those of you that only come here for shoe reviews, I want to say "Thank You" for reading and being so supportive.  But if that's the only reason you came here, you might want to take me off your blog feed.  For everybody else, I hope to write a bit more about topics that have a little more substance than just my love for an item that you wear on your feet. 

2 comments:

Mitch said...

Biker Nate: Thank you for the shoe reviews. Skechers Go Run Ultra and Go Ride 2 make the runs go. Your blog stays on the list. Can much truly be known? Life's questions and answers are probably both full of nuance -- yes and no may not be sufficient answers to most questions.

Mitch

Ran said...

You are being too hard with yourself, buddy.

Write whenever you feel like, about whatever you feel like.

It's your blog.
Love your blog & writing.

Cheers
Ran