Thursday, July 30, 2009

Distractions

Maybe its just my ADD (I don't know if I am really ADD, but it wouldn't surprise me) but I am to easily distracted. I think that one of the reasons that I had to be my own boss is that I have found that I work differently than most people I know. I need to be doing 100 things at once in order to get anything done. I have the hardest time getting something done when it is not pressing or if I have a clear desk.

I think that we live in a time where it is getting harder and harder to get anything done. There is so much information that is instantly available....and I love it. But at the same time it has prevented me from achieving my goals sooner. While this book idea festers in my head and fills me with frustration I am much more inclined to open Facebook, check my emails, look at Cycle News online and IM a friend rather than sit down and type.

This is one of the main reasons that I stopped posting to my blog. As you can see, I only have a few posts before I started this experiment. My attitude was that if I had time to write about a race or event in my life then I was diverting time from working on improving my life. I find it ironic that I am returning to my blog to do exactly that.

Its so much easier to let myself be distracted and it takes much more discipline to concentrate on a goal. I know that I am displacing the time I should be using to more towards my goals but I just can't seem to break the cycle. Hopefully this experiment I've invited you to will help me do that.

This is all part of getting more focused on what I want. I have decided that of all the things that I want out of my life I am going to place writing a book near the top. Time is ticking away, its time to rearrange my priorities.

No comments: